Union Government releases commemorative coin to mark Tatya Tope martyrdom day
The Union Government has leased a commemorative coin of 200 rupees and a circulation coin of 10 rupees on freedom fighter Tatya Tope.
It was released by the Union Culture Minister Dr. Mahesh on the occasion of the Martyrdom Day of Tatya Tope in New Delhi.
The Union Ministry of Culture has been celebrating the 200th Birth Anniversary of Tatya Tope during 2015-16 in association with State Government of Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh.
About Tatya Tope
- Tatya Tope was one of the notable generals in India’s First War of Independence (1857-58) i.e. Revolt of 1857.
- He was born as Ramachandra Pandurang Tope in Yeola in Nashik District of Maharashtra.
- He was most intimate friend of Nana Dhundu Pant (also known as Nana Saheb) of Bithur who was adopted son of Peshwa Baji Rao-II.
- Tatya Tope had revolted against British after Nana Saheb was deprived of his father’s pension by then Governor General Lord Dalhousie under the Doctrine of Lapse in 1851.
- In May 1857, after the rebellion political storm had gained momentum he had won over the Indian troops of the East India Company stationed at Kanpur.
- During the revolt, he was able to establish Nana Saheb’s authority in Kanpur and became the Commander-in-Chief of his revolutionary forces.
- However after Kanpur was re-occupied by British, he had shifted his headquarters to Kalpi and joined hands with Rani Lakshmi Bai and led a revolt in Bundelkhand.
- But he was not able to consolidate his position and was defeated by General Rose in a memorable battle in Gwalior in which Rani Lakshmi Bai suffered martyrdom.
- Later, he had launched a successful guerrilla campaign for over a year in the Sagar and Narmada Khandesh regions and in Rajasthan after losing Gwalior to the British.
- He was captured by the British Forces on 7th April, 1859 and after a hurried trial for waging war against the East India Company.
- He was hanged to death on 18th April 1859 at Shivpuri, Madhya Pradesh.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2017