Union Government unveils National Biotechnology Development Strategy 2015-2020
Union Government has unveiled National Biotechnology Development Strategy (NBDS) 2015-2020 to establish India as a world-class bio-manufacturing hub.
It was unveiled by the Union Science and Technology Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan in New Delhi.
- NBDS intends to launch a major mission under the Make in India programme backed with significant investments for the creation of new biotech products.
- It also seeks to create a strong infrastructure for Research and Development and commercialization and also empower India’s human resources scientifically and technologically.
- The key elements of the Strategy are building a skilled workforce and enhance research opportunities in basic, disciplinary and inter-disciplinary sciences.
- Its major component will be training of work force and this includes dual degree programmes which will cover both the aspect of core science and business applicability.
- It will also focus on enhancing research opportunities in basic, disciplinary and inter-disciplinary sciences and also foster global and national alliances.