Union Government’s Sukanya Samridhi Yojna begins in Uttar Pradesh
Union Government’s Sukanya Samridhi Yojna under Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) campaign has begun in Jaunpur district in the state of Uttar Pradesh.
The first account under the scheme was opened in the name of a three-year old girl Vedika Tiwari in this district by her parents.
Sukanya Samridhi Yojna under Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) campaign
- It was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 22 January 2015 in Haryana to enhance the strength and honour of the girl children across the country.
- This scheme encompasses all the girls of every economic strata under 10 years of age to open Sukanya Samridhi Account in Post offices and in the Banks. This account will be opened by girls parents or legal guardians.
- In the account, a minimum of one thousand Rupees and maximum of One lakh fifty thousand Rupees can be deposited annually, upon which interest of 9.1% will be accrued.
- When the girl child attains the age of 18 years, she herself would become eligible to operate the account.
- Under the scheme, the girl child can withdraw 50 per cent of the money after reaching age of 18 for higher education. The 18 years deadline will also help preventing child-marriages.
Categories: States Current Affairs - 2017