Union Govt. launches National Teeka Express
The National Teeka Express was launched by Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. It has been launched to protect children from life-threatening childhood diseases.
What is the key motive behind National Teeka Express?
Under Routine Immunization Programme, ANMs collect vaccines from storage point (cold chain point) and transport them to session sites, i.e. either Sub-centre or Anganwari centre for carrying out vaccination. Govt of India provides support for distribution of vaccine from last storage point to outreach immunization session sites at Sub-centres/Anganwaris, known as Alternate Vaccine Delivery (AVD) under NRHM.
However, gaps in the implementation of Alternate Vaccine Delivery in difficult areas with low access to healthcare services have been noticed. This gap may compromise the cold chain maintenance and possible loss of potency of vaccine. Improper storage could also lead to Adverse Events Following Immunization. This is the key reason behind of Teeka Express.
What programme is planned under ‘National Teeka Express’?
Govt. of India (GoI) has planned Teeka Express to be piloted in 69 high priority districts with difficult areas and low immunization coverage. For these districts, 1,850 vehicles are planned to be procured with GoI assistance. Designated vehicles under the brand name of ‘National Teeka Express’ will help in:
- Distribution of the vaccines and complementary logistics from last cold chain point to immunization session sites.
- Ensure holding of sessions at the mobile vaccination centre.
- In order to reduce vaccine wastage and ensure better utilization of vaccines, including costly vaccines like Pentavalent vaccine ‘Teeka Express’ will be used with reverse cold chain to bring back the open and un-used vaccines for use in subsequent sessions.
- Serve as a mobile healthcare delivery unit for the areas where there is no healthcare facility or health worker.
- Collect immunization related bio-medical waste for safe disposal at vaccine storage points.
- Collect the coverage and immunization performance reports of the session for compilation and preparation of report at PHC.
The programme will be implemented in a Phased manner. In the first phase the 120 vehicles of “Teeka Express” are planned in 6 districts of 5 states namely Rajasthan – Alwar; Uttar Pradesh – Sharaswati; Haryana – Mewat; Jammu and Kashmir – Doda and Poonch and Madhya Pradesh – Tikamgarh.