Veteran Gandhian and Freedom fighter Chunibhai Vaidya passes away
Veteran Gandhian, freedom fighter and land rights crusader Chunibhai Vaidya passed away in Ahemdabad, Gujarat. He was 97-year old.
About Chunibhai Vaidya
- In Gujarat he was lovingly known as ‘Chuni-kaka’.
- As eminent Gandhian and a sarvodaya veteran, Chunibhai Vaidya had participated in the freedom struggle and in Vinoba Bhave’s Bhoodan Movement.
- He also was a peace worker for 12 years in the mid-sixties following violence in Assam.
- In 1975, he had protested against national emergency and was imprisonment.
- In 1986, for the farmers’ cause, he took up the drought relief work in Gujarat for two years. He had organised construction of many check dams which irrigates land of over 12,000 hectares in Patan district of North Gujarat.
- Awards: Felicitated with Sane Guruji Nirbhay Patrakarita Award and Vishva Gujarati Pratibha award. In 2010, he was honoured with Jamnalal Bajaj Award.
- Books: He has authored book ‘Assassination of Gandhi: Facts and Falsehood’. It is translated and published in eleven languages.
Categories: Persons in News