Veteran Tamil actress Manorama passes away
Veteran Tamil actor, comedian, stage artiste and singer Manorama passed away on 11 October 2015 in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. She was 78.
In her career spanning almost six decades she had acted in over 1,500 films, 1,000 stage performances and several television series in five languages.
- She was born on May 26, 1937 as Gopishantha in Mannargudi in then Madras Presidency of British India.
- She had started her career as a stage artist in an era when women acting in plays were rare in modern India. She adopted the name Manorama when she was performing on the stage.
- Her debut film was Malayitta Mangai, released in 1958. Her first song was sang in Ratha Thilagam in 1963.
- In her later life, she also starred in several television series. For her popular grandmother roles in TV serials, she was affectionately called as Aachi Manorama.
- Awards and Honours: Padma Shri (2002), Kalaimamani award of Tamil Nadu Government, National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress (1989) for the movie Pudhiya Pathai.
- She also was honoured with Guinness World Record for acting in more than 1000 number of films.
Categories: Persons in News