Vocalist Sanjay Subrahmanyam selected for ‘Sangita Kalanidhi’ award 2015
One of the foremost south Indian classical vocalists, Sanjay Subrahmanyam has been selected for the ‘Sangita Kalanidhi’ award 2015.
It will be bestowed upon him when he will preside over the 89th annual conference of the Academy which will be held between December 15, 2015 and January 1, 2016.
With this, he is seventh artistes to be conferred with the award before completing 50 years of age. Others are Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar, Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer, Musiri Subramania Iyer, G.N. Balasubramaniam, Semmangudi R. Srinivasa Iyer, M.L. Vasanthakumari and M. Balamuralikrishna
About Sanjay Subrahmanyam
- He had started performing Carnatic music from 1987.
- By profession he is Charted Accountant but in 2000 became full-time musician.
- Awards: Gaana Padhmam (2013), Vani Kala Sudhakara (2010) and the title Kalaimamani by Tamil Nadu Government (2006) etc.
About Sangita Kalanidhi award/title
- It is a prestigious award bestowed annually upon an expert of Carnatic Music by the Madras Music Academy.
- The award’s name has been derived from Sanskrit which means treasure of Music and art in English.
- This honour is considered one of the highest awards in Carnatic music.