Vodafone and China Mobile created a consortium to bid for mobile licences in Myanmar(Burma)
The world’s largest and second largest mobile operators i.e. China Mobile and Vodafone, have created a consortium to bid for mobile licences in Myanmar.
Why Vodafone and China Mobile joined hands?
- A comparatively young in the world.
- Highly literate population of around 60 million
- GDP growth rate of 5.5% per annum
- Mobile phone penetration is at present below 10% i.e. much lower than in many other developing economies
- Myanmar hopes to increase mobile penetration to 80% in 3 years
- 2 licenses will be tendered to authorize the holders to Build, Own and Operate a mobile network on a country-wide basis for a term of 15 years.
- Thus, Myanmar is seen by these companies as a potential market for the global mobile industry.
Categories: Business, Economy & Banking