Former WB Speaker Hashim Abdul Halim passes away
Veteran CPI(M) leader and former Speaker of the West Bengal Assembly Hasim Abdul Halin passed away in Kolkata. He was 80.
Halin was the Speaker of the State Assembly for a record time of 29 years from 1982 to 2011 during the Left Front rule in the state. Thus, he was the longest-serving Speaker of any Legislative Assembly in the country.
About Hashim Abdul Halim
- Born: He was born on 5 June 1935.
- Political Career: He was adherent member of the Communist Party of India (Marxist).
- He was elected for the first time to state assembly as an MLA in 1977 when the CPI(M)-led Left Front came to power.
- In the first term of the Left Front government (from 1977 and 1982) led by Jyoti Basu, he had served as the Minister of Judicial Affairs.
- He was elected as Speaker for first time in 1982. Since then he remained as one during the rest of Left Front’s tenure i.e. in all its six terms till 2011.
Categories: Persons in News 2017