WCCB develops app to track wildlife crimes across country
For the first time, Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB) under Environment Ministry in coordination with the Wildlife Trust of India (WTI) have developed Android based smartphone application that will enable users to report wildlife crimes, from any part of the country using their mobile phones
Features of applications
- This application provides a secure platform for real time exchange of wildlife crime related information between WCCB and relevant stakeholders
- The app allows an individual to report a wildlife crime quickly and efficiently as the lead will be automatically delivered to a designated email id of WCCB.
- The user who reports crime can also remain anonymous and WCCB will be the sole custodian of the collected information.
- Further, no details of the person reporting the crime will be shared without the prior consent of the individual.
- This interactive app has a simple user interface replacing the written reporting and records.
- It is also integrated with digital version of the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972. The updated version will provide regular wildlife crime news alerts and updates on any amendments/notifications related to the Act.
Further, WTI is in consultation with its partner International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) is also trying to develop an application for identification of wild animals which is expected to be integrated in the next version of the present app.
Thus this application may contribute greatly in improving wildlife crime enforcement in India.