Workdays for tribals under MGNREGA raised from 100 to 150
The Union Cabinet raised the number of workdays under its flagship rural employment guarantee programme MNREGA (Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act 2005) from 100 days to 150 days for tribals. The decision will come into effect from April, 2014.
- MNREGA’s objective: To enhance livelihood security of rural households for creating durable assets and discouraging migration.
- Focus: On water conservation, water harvesting, drought proofing, land development, flood control and rural connectivity among others.
Under MNREGA, eligibility for additionally working days for tribals:-
- As per the rural job scheme, those tribals who have received land rights under the Forest Rights Act, 2006 will be eligible for additional 50 days of wage employment
- The beneficiaries would be those who have completed 100 workdays in that particular financial year.
- To distinguish this category from regular MGNREGA workers, they will be given a job card of a different color.
Benefit: This hike in the workdays will benefit approx 14 lakh families in India.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2017