World Bank to provide India $360 million credit for Uttar Pradesh Water Sector Restructuring Project
Government of India inked a pact with the World Bank for credit of $360 million for the development of second phase of Uttar Pradesh Water Sector Restructuring Project. The objectives of the project are :
- To support the State in capacity building of Water Users Association, rehabilitation and modernization of irrigation, development of Basin River planning strategies and flood management systems.
- To improve the institutional and policy structure for integrated water resources management for the entire State
- To enhance agricultural productivity and water productivity by assisting farmers in targeted irrigation areas.
What are the key areas of work in Uttar Pradesh Water Sector Restructuring Project?
There are six main areas to be worked upon in this project:
- Strengthening of State Level Water Institutions and Inter Sector Coordination
- Modernization and Rehabilitation of Irrigation and Drainage Systems
- Consolidation and Enhancement of Irrigation Institution Reforms
- Enhancing Agriculture Productivity and On-Farm Water Management
- Feasibility studies and Preparation Activities for the Next Phase
Project Coordination and Monitoring.