World Poetry Day
World Poetry Day is observed every year on March 21st by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). World Poetry Day aims to promote the reading, writing, publishing and teaching of poetry throughout the world.
The decision to observe March 21st as World Poetry Day was adopted by UNESCO during its 30th session held at Paris in 1999. The session noted that:
- Poetry fulfils unfulfilled aesthetic needs in society.
- Over the past 20 years, poetry has made a revival and the number of poets has increased.
- The social has incited young people to return to their roots.
- Poets are taking on new roles in society.
- Poetry is part of the recognition of ancestral values and a return to speech as a means of socializing an individual.
- Modern media has failed to take the poet serious and therefore action is needed to give poetry its rightful place in society.
Hence UNESCO decided to observe March 21st as World Poetry Day to give fresh recognition and impetus to national, regional and international poetry movements.
Categories: Important Days and Events