World’s first daily driverless bus service launched in Lyon, France
The world’s first daily driverless bus service has started in Lyon, France which will run in the city’s Confluence area.
The driverless bus service includes two electric shuttles that will transport passengers on a ten-minute route hosting five stops.
- The driverless buses can hold up to 15 passengers and are electric buses.
- It has features like LIDAR radar technology and motion sensors will help to avoid accidents.
- The LIDAR radar technology allows these buses to know exactly where they are and to detect everything happening around them.
- Using this technology these buses manage their movement intelligently to avoid collisions.
What is LIDAR?
- LIDAR is acronym of Light Detection And Ranging. Originally it was created as a portmanteau of “light” and “radar”.
- It is a surveying technology that measures distance by illuminating a target with a laser light.
- It is sometimes simply referred to as 3D scanning or laser scanning with terrestrial, airborne and mobile applications.
- It is popularly used to make high-resolution maps, with applications in geodesy, geomatics, archaeology, geography, geology, geomorphology, forestry, atmospheric physics etc.
Categories: Science & Technology