World’s most expensive train station opened in New York at 9/11 site
The world’s most expensive train station opened at the 9/11 site in New York, United States. It has been named World Trade Center Transportation Hub.
It is built next to the site of the Twin Towers in New York which were destroyed in the terror attacks in 2001.
- The station was constructed at whooping cost of 3.85 billion dollars making it most expensive station in the world.
- It has been designed by the Spanish-Swiss architect Santiago Calatrava who has called it a gift of love to the city.
- The station building is called Oculus and made up of steel ribs and glass laid out in elliptical shape, reaching for the sky like wings of a bird.
- The station space measures 107 metres (350 feet) long by 35 metres (115 feet) at its widest point.
- It is expected eventually to serve more than 2 lakhs commuters daily. Initially it was budgeted at 2 billion dollars and lagged 7 years behind schedule.